Sunday, January 3, 2010

Palm Trees


South Texas Palm Trees

Okay, so maybe the title leaves a little to be desired....(or a lot) and granted the picture isn't unusual or different than a million other palm tree photos taken here in South Texas, but I do have a point with this photo....just bear with me a bit.

Being born and raised in South Texas, I'm not a huge fan of palm trees. (No, that is not sarcasm, I really think they are ugly.) So the other day I was at my friends house to practice singing, getting our act together for church and a friend of hers came over and was talking how much she loved Alaska..(being recently moved from said state, I'm also very much in love with Alaska..if you've never been..go!) I was talking about how I don't have many landscapes to shoot here in the Valley since it is basically brown grass, fields and like the name implies, valley....

So later on, I'm driving home from my sister's house and I see the setting sun on these palm trees (yes, said trees in photo above) and I think wow...that's gorgeous. Yes, I know it's ironic. Of course instantly I realize that God wouldn't have made anything ugly, well, it's only ugly in our eyes. And I know I'm not the greatest get to the point person but here is my great revelation about palm trees:
God made them and He loves them just the same. No matter that I think they are ugly but in the right light (ie.read God's grace) , setting sun or other they can be quite beautiful. And God took time to create them in the seven days it took to create this work of art called earth.

So the parallel is this:

A person can be ugly (I'm talking inside) I may not like them, but God created them and He loves them and with His light and grace and mercy, they become beautiful. Just like the palm trees I find so ugly, in the setting sun are quite beautiful.
And just to add one more point home, I was very ugly before I let God in. I'm not the best writer, I'm not the clearest and maybe by the end of the year , my photos will speak for themselves. But God's grace has changed me from a very brokenhearted, sad person to one with joy and love. Nothing or no one else could have done that.

Until tomorrow. 

Grace be with you,
Katie

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! I'm with you I hate palm trees also. However, I see what you mean, when they are shining with God's light, they are beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete